ELBOW & ALBOW

The O'Nan Family Blog

Monday, January 10, 2005

Roadtrip 2004-05

This year, my Christmas break was met with a pleasant surprise - a random, spur of the moment roadtrip. My initial plan was to spend my two-week vacation from work in my hometown of Oxford, Mississippi. So I headed to Mississippi, and Oxford was good to me - I got to see old friends and visit my favorite places - Square Books, Bottle Tree Bakery, Ajax's. I got to see my family and spend the holidays with them. All was going well, and I thought to myself, "There is no place on earth that I would rather be." However, my contentment with my hometown came to a crashing halt as soon as Marcie mentioned a roadtrip. Roadtrip? Now I felt as if I couldn't get out of town soon enough!

Marcie and I headed out of town on December 30. Our destination? Savannah, Georgia. Mel met us there. The town is so beautiful that I teared up when we drove in - Spanish moss hanging from ancient trees, horse-drawn carriages, adorable cafes, beautiful homes and churches, and parks and squares every few feet. The next few days were amazing and relaxing and fun. We stayed with Marice's friends from SCAD Laura and Anna, who are two of the most precious girls I've ever met. We drank coffee at sweet little coffe shops. We went to Charleston, SC for a day and stayed with sweet Fran. We counted down the New Year at a seedy, seedy joint. We watched Marcie turn 21. We watched Marcie be initiated into the Polar Bear Club (by running into the Atlantic Ocean on New Year's Day). We gave our waiter named Hung secret cupcakes at the side of the building. We just had a really good time. This roadtrip was exactly what I needed to start this year off right.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Laura,

    We're both Libras. I don't know what that means. But I think it means a lot.

    Palmer

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said…

    Palmer, I think it means a lot too. I always knew there was something there... something. And all along, it was just our Libraness.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Choral Advocate said…

    Hey Ill buy coffee next time I'm in Louisville ok :) latuh

     
  • At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Laura, this is Allen...

    I'm liking this place. The different colored circles are catching my eye and the stories are pulling me in...or something like that.


    I need a good road trip sometime.

    You want that movie, eh? Well, you'll have to come to Oxford again to get it!

    just kidding.

    This comment is for those with three second attention spans.

    No sentence is longer than a line or three.

    Laura, I'm glad you've got a blog.

    Go Vikings. Go Colts

    The Cowboys need a young, capable quarterback.

    When Marcie jumped in, was the water cold, hot, luke or tepid?

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You teared up when you drove into town? Seriously?

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said…

    Allen, the water was cold, but not frigid - much like the way you treat me with your lies and unfulfilled promises. :)

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Charles, I will address this further on my livejournal...


    -Allen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home