ELBOW & ALBOW

The O'Nan Family Blog

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

God Bless My Brain

My brain has officially decided to stop working. I first noticed it last Thursday. I walked into my Greek class, where everyone seemed unusually quiet with noses in books or eyes on flashcards. It never occurred to me, however, that this could all be for a reason. So I just sat there, flipping through my new Paste magazine. Suddenly, a voice disturbed me from my magazine reading. "Okay, let's go ahead and take this vocab quiz, then we'll get started with class." Vocab quiz? You've got to be kidding me! I had completely forgotten, even though we have a vocab quiz in Greek class every single Thursday. Oh well, I thought. Drop grade.

As everyone was turning in their quizzes, I heard yet another surprising request. "Go ahead and turn in your selected passage from Philippians that you will be writing your three exegetical papers on." What? I mean, I remembered this having been mentioned, but it didn't seem like anything urgent. And now he wants it today? I quickly grabbed a Bibile and selected a passage - Philippians 3:12-4:1. Easy enough. Problem solved. No penalty.

The weekend was good, really good. I even got ahead in some school work, and was ready to roll for classes on Tuesday. However, at 11:10 a.m. I realized I had left all of my Greek homework at my apartment. My first class starts at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesdays, so I had time to make to my apartment and back. And that's what I did. As I pulled back into campus, I saw that I was going to get a superb parking spot. That made me happy, really happy.

Honestly, I was running about one minute late, so classes had already begun by the time I walked into the building. I rushed into the room where my Greek class meets but quickly realized that I recognized none of the students. And Dr. Plummer, who is not my Greek professor, was teaching the class.

"Uh, Laura Beth, you had this class last semester."

"Yes, yes I did."

"Are you confused?"

"Yes."

I exited the classroom, sure of one thing - my Greek class meets somewhere on this hall. I decided to look into all the classrooms to see if I recognized my class. But nothing looked familiar. I was so disoriented and displaced and absolutely confused. I could not, for the life of me, figure out where I was supposed to be at this moment in time. So I stood still in the hallway for about half a minute before it occurred to me - Greek class starts at 1:30 p.m., and it was then only 11:30 a.m. Ah! So then where was I supposed to be? It only took me about 10 more seconds to remember that I had Personal Counseling at 11:30 a.m. So I headed that way.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Alex F said…

    Gosh I wonder what could be the source of your brain-freeze. Hmmmm

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Adrian Blackney said…

    I can attest to this story's accuracy, I was in Dr. Plummer's class when you poked your head in (5 minutes late I might add). The look on your face was classic. How have you been champ, aside from frazzled of course?

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said…

    Oh, LB...this is SO funny! I think you NEED personal counseling. Shoot! I think you need a break. You need a night with the girls. And Alex, I wonder what is causing this as well...
    :)

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Alex Jonathan O'Nan said…

    You know, I was wondering myself the cause of this strange behaviour you speak of... but it's all Greek to me... (wink wink)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home