ELBOW & ALBOW

The O'Nan Family Blog

Friday, February 17, 2006

Super Foods

About a month ago, my mom sent me this article on super foods. Alex and I are big fans of eating super foods. For one thing, they are proven to aid in disease-fighting and anti-aging. For another thing, they are foods that we generally eat anyway. The superfoods include:
Apples: Alex loves apples. He really likes Galas, Pink Ladies, and Braeburns. But his very favorite apple is the Honey Crisp. This apple has a very short harvest season in the late fall, so you can only get them for about a month or two out of the year.
Pomegranates: I have actuallly never eaten one of these.
Kiwis: Yummmm... One of my favorite fruits to eat in the summer.
Garlic: Almost every meal I cook calls for fresh garlic, so we get plenty of the over 100 nutrients found in a single clove of garlic.
Onions: I often use onions in meals and salads. They are associated with a reduced risk of colon cancer, which is in both my and Alex's family medical histories.
Cinnamon: I love cinnamon! My favorite way to eat cinnamon is to sprinkle it onto my coffee filter, add the coffee grounds, and brew. Its a tasty way to spice up your normal cup of joe, and to get in one of your super foods.
Tumeric: I rarely come across a way to incorporate this spice into my diet.
Dark Chocolate: This is a super food that I definitely make sure is a part of my diet! Alex and I allow ourselves to have a small portion of dark chocolate every day. However, make sure that the chocolate is 60% cocoa. Otherwise, its no good as a superfood. In other words, Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses don't count. Alex and I discovered this after we had nearly finished a whole bag.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: I consistently cook with olive oil. It is certainly a kitchen staple for us.
Avacadoes: We eat gaucamole at least once a week, thanks to Qdoba.

Let me emphasize that some of these foods are high fat, so be sure that you are not over indulging in dark chocolate or avacadoes. Also, as with any type of diet, be sure that you are off-setting your fat and calorie intake with plenty of good, cardiovascular excercise. I've been taking a 45 minute Pilates class twice a week, and doing 45 minutes on the eliptical machine two to three times a week. Alex has been swimming five to six days out of the week. We can guiltlessly enjoy our tiny morsels of daily dark chocolate when we know we are living relatively healthy lifstyles.

Is anyone else into a certain diet or health plan?

3 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so all about SUPER FOODS. I would like to add to the list Spinach. In fact they write on the package that is a super food. We pretty much use it in everything. I would say we have Spinach at least once a day. And since you haven't had Pomegranates - they put the seeds on their Greek salads at Grape Leaf. Its a new touch they have added! They must be into Super Foods too. And I know everyone is all down on Oprah and everything but I personally have learned ALOT about Super Foods on her show! I love Oprah and am not afraid to admit it! :)

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said…

    Oooooh. we love spinach too. It is tasty and contains lots of iron!

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger j.ro said…

    Apples rock my socks. And my taste buds. I usually go for the Golden Delicious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home