ELBOW & ALBOW

The O'Nan Family Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Music Survey

This music survey appeared on the Sojourn discussion board the other day... I thought it was fun, so here goes.

1. Of all the bands/artists in your cd/record collection, which one do you own the
most albums by?
Wilco

2. What was the last song you listened to?
Broken Social Scene – “Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Half)"

3. a) What's in your record player right now?
no turntable in my house

b) What's in your living room CD player right now?
Charles Mingus, “Mingus Ah Um”

c) What's in your car CD player right now?
Paste Magazine Sampler CD

4. What song would you say sums you up?
Outkast – “So Fresh, So Clean” (Ha! Just kidding… I couldn’t really think of one.)

5. What's your favorite local band?
Of Asaph (do you even have to ask?)

6. What was the last show you attended?
Wilco @ The Palace

7. What was the greatest show you've ever been to?
Wilco @ The Library (a tiny venue in my hometown)

8. What's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?
Q and not U (I cannot begin to explain the misery of this experience) tied with Widespread Panic

9. What band do you love musically but dislike the members of?
Ummm… I don’t know. I like most people.

10. What is the most musically involved you have ever been?
Well, I was a music major in college, but that’s the nerdy kind of musical involvement. Also, when I was in college I constantly bought CDs and was constantly at shows. Oh yeah, I’ve taught private voice lessons before. Uh… I’ve led worship at Sojourn (that’s really stretching it). Okay, so I haven’t really had much musical involvement. I just like music a lot.

11. What show are you looking forward to?
I would really love to catch American Analog Set on their last ever tour, but I don’t think that’s gong to happen. So, I’ll just look forward to seeing Of Asaph play again… Soon, please?

12. What is your favorite band shirt?
Of Asaph – “we draw crowds” (My allegiance is embarrassing)

13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
Sufjan Stevens (Alex, I promise I’ve given up my crush on him, but I still think he would be interesting to talk to.)

14. What musician would you like to be in love with for a day?
I am already in love with one for life… thanks, though.

16. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
UGH!!!

18. Punk rock, hip hop or heavy metal?:
Hip hop

20. Name 4 flawless albums:
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; Jeff Buckley – Grace; Interpol – Antics; Yo La Tengo – I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

21. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?
I can accept that

22. What was the greatest decade for music?
I’m gonna say the 90s.

23. How many music-related videos/dvds do you own?
not many

26. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
The Wedding Singer and Garden State (tie)

27. What was your last musical "phase" before you wisened up?
This is embarrassing… I used to kind of like “jam bands”

28. What's the crappiest CD/record/etc. you've ever bought?
The Shore – Self-titled (It is popilicious)

29. Do you prefer vinyl or CDs?
CDs

30. how much do you spend on music a month?
I used to spend a whole lot, now I hardly ever buy music. I’m getting so behind the times.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Sorry to sully the as-yet-pure comments page...

    Not being sure of the meaning of "popilicious," I first looked it up on dictionary.com. The word does not exist on that site (though I learned a whole lot about the popliteal muscle), so I googled it. So far, I've gathered the following information:

    1. Popilicious refers to lightweight music suitable to the OC soundtrack.
    2. Popilicious may have replaced "poppy" as a descriptor of pop music.
    3. Popiliciousness involves the frequent use of the word "baby" and the phrase "doo-doo-doo"
    4. On a not-entirely-unrelated-to-doo-doo note, Google offered "poopilicious" as an alternative search.

    Thank you for that online adventure in language, Laura Beth.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1. Bruce Springsteen
    2. Down the River - Chris Knight
    3. no record player; computer hooked to stereo in house; Chris Knight, The Jealous Kind in car
    4. "It Ain't Easy Being Me" by Chris Knight, or "Sunday Morning Comin' Down" by Kris Kristofferson
    5. Ken Edwards and his Well-Strung Band
    6. Ken Edwards and said Band at The Library
    7. Springsteen at the BJCC, B'Ham, AL
    8. Richard Buckner, because it was utterly disappointing how wasted and incoherent he was
    9. I can't really dislike people I don't know. I like Interpol's music, but that whole artsy hipster "look-at-us-we're-dark" thing is pretentious.
    10. Sitting up til dawn in a shack behind a friend's house singing, listening, and playing the spoons.
    11. Next time Springsteen goes on tour with the E-Street Band, if Guns N Roses ever realizes how much money they could make if they toured and do so, and if the remaining members of Led Zeppelin ever tour.
    12. the shirts that were just Kurt Cobain's face, with his birth date and death date beneath the picture
    13. Springsteen
    14. Would they be in love with me? If so, Tift Merritt. If not, what's the point?
    16. who cares?
    18. hip hop
    20. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run; Radiohead - OK Computer (yes, even with Fitter Happier; get over it); David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars; Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    21. or just bored from studying criminal procedure
    22. I have to say '90's, as I'm more familiar with that decade than any other, but the late seventies were pretty great.
    23. 11
    26. Iron Eagle
    27. I go through phases all the time. I've been in a Steve Perry/Journey phase for over a year now, and I never want to wise up. I used to really be into some questionable CCM, back in junior high.
    28. The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina, because I expected so much and got so little in return.
    29. CD's
    30. $50 or so on average

     

Post a Comment

<< Home