ELBOW & ALBOW

The O'Nan Family Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What to do with I-64

The waterfront interstate of I-64 is apparently a huge problem here in Louisville. The approved expansion and "improvement" of spaghetti junction is a huge, messy, 13-year project that will harm, rather than improve the downtown vibrancy and economy. One group has proposed another plan that involves tearing down the waterfront portion of I-64, a plan that has been successfully enacted in other major waterfront cities such as Portland, OR; San Frascisco, CA; London, England; and Milwaukee, WS. You can view a short presentation of the plan here. On first thought, it looks like a great idea, but I would like to hear the other side before committing.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Alex F said…

    So are you going to be continuing blogging and, if so, are you going to change the address?

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said…

    I don't know, and I don't know. I may. I may not. I'll probably just wait until the People's Republic of China implodes.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said…

    I'm committed. I've signed the petition. Alex has the www.8664.org sticker on the back of the CRV. YEAH!!!

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Kyle said…

    I have a problem with 8664. I did some investigating myself and found a major flaw. St. Matthews. Try to get there from western IN. There is a large contingency of people that travel in from Georgetown, IN and other parts that come to St. Matthews (my admin. assistance is one). I took a GPS program and attempt to make routes to St. Matthews and it is a long trip.
    You may say "it is going to take some sacrifice to make this work and St. Matthews will be part of it", but you would be wrong. You see, it is all politics. What I mean is this. A proposal will come up one day maybe to do this plan. The proposal will go through the city council and they will vote for there little section of the city, yes or no. And because a large amount of wealthy people live in St. Matthews, to put it simply, it might not pass a vote. As all politics go, everything is a compromise between what is ideal and what will pass a real vote. I think the 8664 idea is beautiful in many ways, yet if not careful the idea can be lost altogether if not thought through. Simply, if the plan does not make life at least reasonably easy on the wealthy voters in St. M then they may vote it to the wind and you will see 100 feet of concrete stretching along the river.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home